Skip to main content

Lettering

Today I got to fondle a 1970 Mercedes Benz, ooohhhh. That is one beautiful car. I remember my dad had two 1976 Benz's; driving them is like cotton candy on a marshmallow road! I felt like I was going 10mph when I was really going 75! Wow!

sigh. :) swoon.

I did some basic script lettering on the back, in quotes it reads now "Klasse Ratte"
I love the German feel of it, hahah Ivory letters, with a red drop shadow. The owner loved it, and the striping I did on his wood glove box. There was a channel, with black in it, so I used black, and for a second color went with a bronze to pick up the tan leather interior color. Just a nice small design in the lower right corner of the glove box door - less is MORE! It had a nice 70's feel to it, appropriate for the car. I felt like I was in a 1970's era conference room with wood paneling and a big maple conference table, heh.

ok, time for me to rub my hand and relax for the rest of the day!

Tomorrow I'm going to Milford, I was told there's an impromptu bike show every Tuesday at a bar, I'll let you know how that turns out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being a public artist in the time of "just a cold"

Every year I am fully committed to my work on the carousel at the Henry Ford for the entire month of March. Sometimes the weather is good enough I can start in Jan, or February, but that's rare. Most years I work through March, and into April, especially if I am asked to paint a piece of farm equipment in addition to my work on the carousel. So I never schedule anything else for March, and tell callers that I will contact them mid April, once I wrap up at the musuem. I do all my carousel work in an unheated building, so you can understand why weather play such a big role in my scheduling. In spring and summer and fall I do all my pinstriping work outside in full sunlight - the best light!- and again, weather plays a crucial role in my scheduling. I simply can't schedule a pinstripe job one or two months out, since I have no way to precict what the weather will be like. I generally look at the forecast for the week, and schedule for a sunny day, leaving the next open just in cas...

Check out my other blog, I update that one!

Like anyone else, there was a learning curve and I wound up with two separate blogs, oopsy. This one has a lot of subscribers, so if you'd all plase head over to my Julie Fournier's Art blog, that's the blog that I am writing and posting in these days. You don't want to miss out! Here's the direct link: https://juliekfournier.blogspot.com/ Thanks, and enjoy!

Train at The Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, MI

Where to start? Winters have usually been my rest period since I usually don't get a lot of work then. There aren't any art fairs, or car shows, not a lot of weddings, it's just basically an historically slow period for me. Not this winter! I was asked to do some restoration lettering and striping at The Henry Ford Museum at Greenfield Village in Dearborn Michigan on a tender tank that used to be owned by Henry Ford. What's a tender tank you ask? I didn't know what one was, either, until it was explained to me. It's the train car right behind the locomotive that holds water. In this case, 18,000 gallons of water. Apparently Henry Ford used to like to drive a real, full sized train around for fun. Now it's at the museum and after ten years of restoration work, it was ready to have the finishing touches put on it. I was lucky enough to have been in the right place at the right time, as well as having the necessary skills, to be asked to do this incredible job:...